Saturday 7 February 2015

La Vie en Rosé


The art of Natalie D’Arbeloff, which often combines image and text, has a directness and simplicity that may at first sight appear childlike. But it’s quite the reverse. For all its immediacy, it’s both subtle and profound, adult in the best as opposed to the X-rated sense. It comes from someone who knows the world and herself. Perhaps “knows” is too strong. The person who has “seen it all” can be cynical and jaded. Natalie is the opposite. Having met her face to face, I have the sense that she and her art are at one in their mission to radiate a joyous sense of wonder at this world, and the opportunities to make a significant mark upon it.

La Vie en Rosé is a short book. She calls it an illustrated novella. I think of it as a fable with a happy ending. Like Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, it started as part of a game between a group of bright people. In the case of Mary Godwin, as she was then, the players included Percy Bysshe Shelley, whom she married, and Lord Byron. Cold weather prevented the outdoor activities they’d hoped for on a holiday beside Lake Geneva, so a game was devised. Each of them would write a ghost story. In Natalie’s case it was an online group and the game was a form of “Consequences”. Each in turn must write a 250-word story. Its opening line would be the closing one of the previous story. The one she was given was:

We gulp what is here and ours and nobody’s and nothing’s

You can read about it in her words here. I’m guessing that this line put her in mind of drinking and nihilism. So she created a recovering alcoholic expatriate Englishwoman living in a French village, married to a fashionable English poet, supporting him, arranging his lecture tours. The situation is unstable: we see it unravelling before our eyes. At a party he leaves his glass of rosé with her so as to flirt with the teetotal hostess, and whatever that may lead to. He’s devilish-handsome and it wouldn’t be the first time. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, says Byron. She gulps down the wine he’s so thoughtlessly left her guarding. Three years dry, now ready to drown in an instant. The wine inside her wants company, more of the same. After her long drought, she pours it down her throat from the bottle. Will she, like many a captive wife, merely punish herself, or will she break free of the two tyrants in her life? We know not. She flees the party, accosts a passing village priest, the reclusive Père Lafitte.

I imagine that it was around this point that the 250 words prescribed by the game ran out, perhaps with her drunken words to the priest as she grabs his arm, “Get me to a nunnery!”


Be that as it may, her characters came to life, refused to end it there. Readers wanted to know what happened & so did Natalie. She’s an artist who’s fond of having dialogues: with herself, or the angel Gabriel. She even got herself a reporter’s notebook and interviewed God, producing the best best comic book I’ve read. Perhaps her entire oeuvre may be seen as a dialogue: with herself, divinity, the reader and viewer.

To continue: the priest shudders at being accosted by a drunken woman, out in the street at night. It would be enough of an ordeal for him in the safe haven of a confessional booth. He’s not an outgoing man.

Père Lafitte was used to silence, he craved it as others crave communication . . .

But an unlikely relationship develops between the spurned wife resolved to start anew and a priest who has dreams of his own, dreams not incompatible, it needs to be said, with his ordained and celibate status.

I said it was a fable. It’s a fable about daydreams, and whether they should be realized in concrete form. The character of the priest is well-realized, his bleak solitary life with a few consolations—the bottle of good cognac he keeps in a cupboard for moments of need, the book he ritually reads at bedtime (Exploits Étranges et Extraordinaires), his secret garden. In certain ways, I see myself in him. At any rate, I recognize him as a real person, especially when he says:

I do not need to make my dreams come true.

(Some of us do say this. I do, daily, as I ponder whether I need to, want to, am prepared to, make the effort to, convert intense experience into written form. I’m sure Natalie must hesitate too, before sacrificing her ease on a new and demanding project.

Susan / Suzanne is equally real: a woman striving for her own independent life, no heroine, perhaps an allegory of Everywoman, lightly portrayed but real in her predicament, real in her quest to define herself.


from Trans-Siberian Prosody and Little Jeanne from France,
poems translated from Blaise Cendrars
Great is the author, in my estimation, who restricts herself to hints and nuances, who gives space to the reader to superimpose his own life-experience, to fill out the characters and situations. In a short novella or long short-story such a light sketching-in is a must. An inferior author or screenwriter will fall back on cliché. Not here. Yes, La Vie en Rosé could spawn a movie—though not with that title because it’s too close to La Vie en Rose about the life of Edith Piaf, named from a love-song she wrote. The mix of characters is reminiscent of an Iris Murdoch plot, but simple where Murdoch is convoluted and gothic. In Père Lafitte I see echoes of celibates in John Cowper Powys, a novelist who like Ms D’Arbeloff puts himself into each character, whose vividness shines from reflecting aspects of his soul.

I said it was a fable about dreams, and the possibility of their realization. Our author chooses a marvellous example from real life, the postman Ferdinand Cheval, who spent thirty-three years of his life building “Le Palais Idéal”.

a page from The Augustine Adventures, No. 3
Having visited Natalie and seen some of her prolific work accumulated over many decades, I glimpse her sympathy for this man who was never, unlike Père Lafitte, content with mere dreaming. His work was hardly recognized in his own lifetime. Natalie has long been recognized and respected but hasn’t achieved the dubious distinction of being fashionable outside a small coterie of connoisseurs. I’ve looked at some reviews she’s written of other artists’ exhibitions, posthumous or otherwise. Reading between the lines, I believe she rates her own work higher than some of what’s revered merely for the big-name, high-priced artist: rightly so. From what I have seen, her work is abundant, modestly-sized, consistently excellent, approachable and a million miles from kitsch. Perhaps there’s nothing there to make a big splash, but she’s made smaller splashes for decades and continues to do so. Her latest work is ambitious and impressive, but unlikely to cause more than a ripple. It’s a large-format a limited-edition book of poems decorated with her vinyl-cuts. I’ve seen her tiny studio with its press for taking proofs. The spirit of William Blake lives on.

Her word-portraits and humorous monologues are as deft and simple as her illustrations and paintings. I’m grateful to have obtained a tiny volume in the series The Augustine Adventures: small packages. It’s a beautifully- presented series, twenty pages each of black-and-white cartoons (A6, stapled). In “Number Three, Oct 1984”, the author’s alter ego, in conversation with a mirror, tries to deal with the absence of wider fame. This is something I dearly wish will be corrected in both our lifetimes.


14 Comments:

At 7 February 2015 at 02:02 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

Wow. There are times when I feel like I'm really on to something, and then there are times when I hear about someone like this and I feel like they are operating on a level of sophistication so far above and beyond me.

I love the touch of him leaving her holding the glass. One small detail and yet it says everything.

 
At 7 February 2015 at 02:09 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

"GOD SPENDS DAY IN TREE WITH EVERYONE"

:)

 
At 7 February 2015 at 02:25 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Vincent! Attention, genuine attention, is a rare gift. To give full attention to someone's work - the result of their particular way of seeing - and be able to extract its essence, takes generosity and a degree of detachment from one's own preoccupations. You certainly have that gift in abundance and I thank you most sincerely for this marvellous review.

 
At 7 February 2015 at 10:20 , Anonymous Nelson said...

This is the beauty of an online community, Bryan. It makes us raise our game. It was the same for those people holed up by Lake Geneva. Who would have thought that Frankenstein would be better known and remembered today than all the poetry of Byron & Shelley? Not Mary Godwin. And if not for a volcanic eruption in faraway Indonesia, it would never have happened.

Our chances are so much higher today, especially for a writer who has already published horror stories.

And if we don't make it, we can join Père Lafitte, and say “I do not need to make my dreams come true”---ignoring all those who cry “Sour grapes!”

And yes, “God spends day in tree with everyone” will surely be immortal. Here's the link again: http://www.nataliedarbeloff.com/interviewgod.html

 
At 7 February 2015 at 10:28 , Anonymous Nelson said...

I recognize the same gift in you, Natalie. And it's a two-way thing. Your work captures the attention, makes us notice the fine detail and absorb the essence, even if we are not practised enough to paraphrase it in our own words. As for "detachment from one's own preoccupations", you'll see from Vincent's profile that his occupation is "idler".

 
At 7 February 2015 at 15:28 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

I think that what you have named "idling", Vincent, would be closer to Krishnamurti's description of "freedom".
I was going to quote only a particular phrase but since that would breach the copyright rules, the whole thing is well worth reading here:
http://www.deeshan.com/krishnamurti.htm
I seem to be promoting Krishnamurti! I gave this link a few days ago on Gwynt, Tom's blog, because it seemed so relevant to the concept of 'becoming'.
I'm realising how relevant and how simple (but not simplistic) K's teaching was. I didn't fully appreciate it when I first came across it, obscured as it was by the fame of the teacher.

 
At 8 February 2015 at 03:25 , Anonymous Davoh said...


La Vie en Rosé

Meh. Have recently watched an SBS documentary about 'the secret life of Edith Piaf''.

Don't give me the shits, Vincent - we're not all "barbarians" south of the Equator.

 
At 8 February 2015 at 05:06 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Thanks for the heckle, Davoh. I bang the gavel lightly, in a feeble attempt to restore order.

 
At 8 February 2015 at 05:43 , Anonymous Nelson said...

In the spirit of idling, I ponder long over the paradoxes in Krishnamurti's words as published on that page, and the paradox of the draconian copyright restriction slapped on by "Deeshan". I put it down to Indian-guruism: but you know my prejudices there, and and reasons therefor.

So, idling again, in a manner contrary to Krishnamurti's description of freedom, I looked at the ownership of his copyright and found it the subject of protracted legal dispute. I also discovered UG Krishnamurti, his tragi-comic nemesis and satirical antithesis, with whom I may have confused Jiddu K in the past.

UG's copyright notice is as follows: "My teaching, if that is the word you want to use, has no copyright. You are free to reproduce, distribute, interpret, misinterpret, distort, garble, do what you like, even claim authorship, without my consent or the permission of anybody."

Having said all that, I agree that the whole thing (per your link) is worth reading, if not spending too long on. And I puzzled over the particular phrase you might have been going to quote. One relevant possibility was "This creativeness may not necessarily seek expression. You need not be a great artist or have an audience; if you seek these, you will miss the inward Reality."

Another was "the mirror of relationship".

There are mirrors everywhere, it seems!

 
At 8 February 2015 at 08:10 , Anonymous Tom said...

Having read some of Natalie's works, and having read this post, I find myself full of admiration for the manner in which you have described and praised them. You have come up with words which I would have been unable to find, but ones with which I am in total agreement. So glad that you and Natalie have met in person, an experience which I have found does not fade with time.

 
At 8 February 2015 at 14:39 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Am blushing and pretending not to eavesdrop this conversation in which my name features so pleasingly prominently.

That JK and UK shared the same surname has certainly been a source of confusion about their very different outlooks. The legal wrangles around JK copyright indeed probably originate in devotees seeking to 'protect' his sayings - which were, in any case, generally recorded at public talks that he gave rather than written down by him. Having attended some of these talks, I am fairly sure that he couldn't have cared less about protection and in this respect, would have agreed with UG's dismissal of such rights.

 
At 8 February 2015 at 19:37 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Hi Tom, I saw Natalie's account of your visit, and her photo of you. The combination of both brought your physical presence closer & I'm grateful for it. I hope we may be able to meet some day, somewhere!

 
At 8 February 2015 at 20:17 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Well, I hope that Ellie is unblushingly eavesdropping this conversation, I mean visiting as she usually does. Ellie, I think you will be interested in Natalie's art reviews http://www.nataliedarbeloff.com/reviews-by-nda.html and in particular the one on Donald Pass, http://www.donaldpass.com/ whose descriptions and paintings of visions bear an uncanny resemblance to those of William Blake.

A sceptical art critic might say he was "influenced" by Blake, i.e. imitated him, and I'm in no position to comment on that. However the thought did occur to me that the similarity might lend credence to the notion that Blake did literally see the figures and forms he depicts, as other artists paint from landscapes in nature, either directly or from vivid memory.

On the topic of hyper-accuracy in an artist's memory, one of the most notable examples, living and fully attested, is the autistic savant Stephen Wiltshire, whose work is extensively documented on the Web.

Unfortunately Donald Pass is no longer with us, but he too has his Web presence. He does a voiceover in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FD2rK3-DGY

To digress further, I'm reminded of another English artist, Stanley Spencer, who lived in a village not far from here, Cookham ("a village in Heaven") who also did Resurrection pictures. But he made no claim that he actually saw what he depicted, which I thnk differentiates him from Pass (& possibly Blake) who obviously had to translate his vision into paintable shapes, but didn't invent it imaginatively.

I would not call myself a sceptic, but I'm satisfied to restrict my notion of reality to what I can see with my eyes. I accept the possibility that they saw these things, but am not tempted to believe in resurrection.

Now I blush for the egregious digressions.

 
At 9 February 2015 at 20:33 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Donald Pass never had the fame and recognition that Stanley Spencer had - in fact he's considered one of the 'outsider' artists. Some of his work is shown on the website of an art dealer who only handles 'outsiders' - including my own mother Blanche's late (and only ) paintings!
http://www.outsiderart.co.uk/arbeloff.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home