Thursday 29 January 2015

Why did the R101 crash?


Nevil Shute Norway, with the R100 he helped design
I mentioned in the comments section of my last that scientists these days are dependent on research funding, academic tenure etc., so they may feel constrained in what they can say or do; whereas in the nineteenth century and earlier, scientists could speculate fearlessly. Agreeing with this, Natalie suggested that some ideas derided by orthodoxy today may yet take root and flourish in a yet unimagined future.

And then I was reminded of something, a broader principle which has long convinced me, and I can trace it back to a particular time in my life, a book which made an impression, and a particular passage in that book.

Nevil Shute’s novels span four decades, from the Twenties to the Fifties. By profession he was an aeronautical engineer. In his memoir Slide Rule, he tells the story of two rival British airship projects: the R100 and the R101. Everyone remembers the R101 because it crashed on its first big flight from England to India, killing 48 of the bigwigs who travelled as passengers. Many of them had hoped to bask in its reflected glory. The R101 was a government-sponsored project funded with taxpayers’ money and managed by civil servants. Much of Shute’s book analyses what it did wrong compared with its rival airship R100, which was privately designed and built; and which had promoted Shute (in his real name of Nevil Shute Norway) as its deputy chief engineer.

I was more interested in this book than his novels, discovering myself to be an engineer at heart, though my professional career was in software, a rather abstract realm that wouldn’t suit me now. I’d sooner work with materials. I’m just old enough to have used a slide rule at school. Shute’s book takes its name from the millions of slide rule calculations used in designing the R100 airship, in the late Twenties. I was fascinated by every detail in his book, but the bit I remember best was about “private means”:
Now and again, we would find some cheerful young commander or captain who was not affected by these scruples, who was as brave in the office as he was at sea. Commenting on such a regular officer and on his way of doing business we would say,

The R101 at Carrington, where it was built and trialled
"He’s a good one. I bet he’s got private means. Invariably investigation proved that we were right. The officers who were brave in the Admiralty were the officers who had an independent income, who could afford to resign from the navy if necessary without bringing financial disaster to their wives and children. It started as a joke with us to say that a brave officer in the office probably had private means. and then it got beyond a joke and turned into an axiom. These were the men who could afford to shoulder personal responsibility in the Admiralty, who could afford to do their duty to the Navy in the highest sense.

Such men invariably gravitate towards the top of any government service that they happen to be in because of their carefree acceptance of responsibility. They serve as a leaven and as an example to their less fortunate fellows; they set the tone of the whole office by their high standard of duty.

“The greatest disaster in the history of aviation
The torn and twisted skeleton of R101
An aerial view of the wreck on a hill near Beauvais”
I think this is an aspect of inherited incomes which deserves greater attention than it has had up to now. If the effect of excessive taxation and death duties in a country is to make all high officials dependent on their pay and pensions. then the standard of administration will decline and that country will get into greater difficulties than ever. Conversely, in a wealthy country with relatively low taxation and much inherited income a proportion of the high officials will be independent of their job, and the standard of administration will probably be high.

I do not know the financial condition of the high officials in the Air Ministry at the time of the R101 disaster. I suspect, however, that an investigation would reveal that it was England’s bad luck that at that time none of them had any substantial private means. At rock bottom, that to me is probably the fundamental cause of the tragedy. [My italics.]
To see virtue in inherited wealth is of course an old-fashioned attitude, popularly identified with conservatism. Today’s world is anxious and aspirational. Money is pursued as a proxy for contentment. The rich are envied and hated. Heedless of the tenth commandment, people are encouraged to consider covetousness the new virtue. It churns the economy, increases the GDP. It doesn’t do much for the sense of well-being but many are prepared to pay that price.

Shute wrote Slide Rule in 1954. The values he extols carry little weight in today’s landscape, but I take his words personally. There is still a class of person with “private means”, who is able to step out of the economic rat race. I remember it said that British pre-eminence in pop music in the Sixties—the Beatles leading the way—was financed by a generous system of unemployment benefit which allowed young men (mainly) to develop new styles, because they had time to do so, and could afford to fail.

Why did the R101 crash? Shute hints that it may have been because few if any of its team could afford to lose their jobs by speaking out against the rush to deadline, the cut corners, the glaring risks whitewashed over, so as to win the race against the R100 and get all the kudos.

There will always be persons of private means. They are the ones whom progressive parties promise to squeeze when it’s General Election time. Tax the rich to feed the poor. But you don’t have to be rich. There’s a whole army of persons no longer in full employment, whose bodies and minds are not yet worn out, who can expect to live for some years yet, thanks to medical advances not available in Shute’s day. And his words still apply. We (for I march in that number) shelter under the aegis of retirement, and ought to accept a “high standard of duty”. Instead of lazing about, waiting till I become a burden on the young, I can afford to “shoulder responsibility” and do my duty to the universe “in the highest sense”. Crashes of all kinds occur in this flawed world. If R101 had not crashed on its maiden long-distance flight, airships might have had a safe few years, helium would have become available instead of hydrogen, and the world would have been a little different.

14 Comments:

At 1 February 2015 at 06:04 , Anonymous Nelson said...

I'm amused by the lack of comments to date, suspecting disapproval. I hope so, because it was written with provocative intent and looking forward to challenge & disagreement. But wariness or lack of interest is fine with me too. I was inspired in the first place by a sense that freedom of thought and action is worth more than popularity & success.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 08:39 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

I just haven't quite known what to make of it. I found your taken on why the government project failed while the private one succeeded to be interesting (the idea that the one was undertaken with a bolder spirit by persons of means.) Quite apart from Ayn Rand's voluminous exploration of just that subject, and yet possibly more alike than we might think. I suppose that in a nutshell she would say that the lack of motivated self-interest (the profit motive) leads inherently to sloppier, more careless work.

However, I had NO interest whatsoever in arguing this point, let alone bringing up she-who-must-not-be-mentioned, so I kept my eerie silence until I saw you doing a mic check in the form of a comment. Lord knows I've been there. So I figured I'd drop a line.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 09:15 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

As a side note, I'd like to add a thought I've been cultivating for a while now, maybe on apropos of how this post was received. I have this idea that you and I swim in different ponds and yet we're struggling over land to get to the other's pond and we've met somewhere in the middle, gasping for breath and flopping around in the dirt, maybe under a nice shady tree. I'm more at home in a realm of abstract and analytical ideas and yet I inch along in the dirt, striving with all my might to a realm of sentiment and imagination, while you seem more at home with the sentimental, and yet strive towards the realm of ideas. In other words, I'm a thinker trying to be a dreamer, while you're a dreamer trying to be a thinker.

Some might say that this is too simple and pat a scheme, as scheme inevitability are. You might say yourself that I'm completely mistaken. That could be. Some might say that we should be comfortable in the ponds that we were placed, go with the gifts that we were given. But I say, maybe that flipping, flapping, flopping struggle is part of we are. Maybe by virtue of that struggle and the effort invested in it, YOU are the thinker and I'm the dreamer.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just a half-baked thoight that's been kicking around in my head. I guess I had to dump it off somewhere. You can bill for the trash pickup if it's inconvenience.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 09:50 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history! I learn so much from you. It's also been interesting reading your great aunt's 'Great War' scrap book http://osdscrapbook.blogspot.co.uk/ & her memories of the airships. Like this for an example: "An airship comes over in Chruch-time and as Mr. Sparling's son was the pilot, it circled round the church making a great noise trying to drop letters into their garden in Maze Hill." Interesting reading about her account of the airships searching for sublarines & the zepplin raids at Dover etc., too.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 09:57 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean 'submarines'. At any rate, her diary is wonderful. Man, that part about a bomb dropping on the boat her friends were on & their little girl getting wood splinters in her face, still chokes me up when I think about it.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 10:48 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry such a pest. Just one more thing; is the Conan Doyle your great-aunt mentioned in her diary 'THE' Conan Doyle? Wow!
I like this: "When navy lost more than a thousand men in a single day his brilliant mind never at rest, Conan Doyle made suggestions to the war office to provide 'inflatable rubber belts', and 'inflatable life boats'. He also spoke of 'body armour' to protect soldiers on the front. Most government officals found him irratating at best. One of the exceptions was Winston Churchill who wrote to thank him for his ideas."
Yeah, I see what you mean now about private means. Well, thank god for Sherlock Holmes then. Heaven forbid a poor man sailor dare speak up & ask for a life-vest. WTH

 
At 1 February 2015 at 11:10 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Cindy, thanks for your comments, & for giving publicity to Auntie Ollie's website which I must complete before the commemorations of WWI stop in 2018.

Yes, Conan Doyle is an important example of someone with private means challenging the hidebound civil servants in the War Office. Winston Churchill is another. He too earned his living by writing, more so than anything he earned in public service. It enabled him to survive so many of his most productive years out of office, without compromising any of his principles, waiting (as we see in hindsight) for the time he would be most needed - to save the world!.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 12:29 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Bryan, on your side note, I gasp in wonder at this convergence between us. Not for the first or even the fifth time, you've said things I would like to have said. And the imagery you use is reminiscent of Loren Eiseley's description (briefly touched on in my last) of our putative forebear, the fish with a mutated lung which managed to crawl out of a swamp and found a land-based dynasty which led, a few million years later, to us.

Convergence is where I'm at really these days. Wherever there's a pond which seems to have separated from my own, I want to crawl across the sludge to meet it half way. Ironically I have the hardest job of all doing this in my own street. I heard on the radio today that mosques up and down the country are having an open day, offering tea and cakes to visitors. I've yet to receive an invitation to the one 50 yards away; but that's just in earth-yards. By some other measure, I doubt if the distance can be traversed in a lifetime.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 14:51 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

I think from now on I'm going to interpret no comments as "stunned into silence by my audacious brilliance."

It can be disheartening not to get comments, but at the same time there's something pristine in that period between posting and when the comments roll in. You know, the thing is out there, people may be reading it, but yet it's shrouded in this warm hum of silence. Sometimes the comments come in and kind of puncture that. I'll post something and I'll think, "I really got something here. People are gonna be blown away by this." And then a comment comes in like, "I wouldn't want to mess with that Santa Claus!" Which is fine. If that's someone's reaction, that's their reaction, and bless them for taking the time to leave a comment. It's just funny how something can get built up in your mind, and then the contrast to how it actually goes over. It can really bring you down a peg or two.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 15:46 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Right. That's my cue to go over to yours and help count those sheep, before you drop a peg. You've had time to enjoy that pristine silence.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 23:26 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Nice to see my name mentioned in your post, Vincent. I didn't comment at once because this isn't a topic I know much about. The only thing I can contribute is rather a cliché: individuals don't necessarily fit into categories assigned to them by birth, class, inherited wealth, poverty, employment, unemployment, entrepreneurship etc. Whatever their status, whether they have private means or nothing at all, some people will act selfishly and exploit others, and some will be concerned for others and unselfish. Some will use their abilities more effectively in a setting free from material pressures, while others will thrive under such pressure. I can indeed see the point of your bringing up R100 and R101 but I can't see that any definite conclusions can be drawn from that experience. Private wealth and private enterprise certainly do not always produce better leaders, better creators, better humans in general, but occasionally it might. Neither would the opposite situation. What the ideal breeding ground for human excellence, taken in its broadest sense, might be I have no idea. Those who achieve excellence (not necessarily measured in terms of fame or wealth or power) generally do so against the odds.

 
At 2 February 2015 at 12:19 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winston Churchill was the greatest hero that ever lived. I'm more fortunate than most Americans in that I live not far from the American Churchill Museum in Fulton, Mo. My father is 84 yrs old & to this day he looks up to Churchill as the smartest man of all time.
A few years back, in the musky basement of an antique store, I discovered a book written by Winston Churchill published in 1918. The book was 'The Inside Of The Cup'. I was so excited that I raced it straight to my dad. He took one look at it, handed it back to me & said "wrong Churchill, sweety, but good try". Apparently, there was an American writer also named, Winston Churchill. Imagine my disappointment. The book was awful reading, too. I later heard that the genuine Churchill was familiar with the American writer Churchill & wrote to him suggesting he change his name.

 
At 2 February 2015 at 21:00 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Yes, Cindy, I seem to recall that Churchill was annoyed when he was told by his publisher that another author had the same name and so he could not use it. After failing to persuade the inferior writer to change his name, he was forced to use the name Winston S. Churchill for all his books, though the S. is dropped in some modern reprints. To me he is the best kind of hero, lovable and flawed as well as a giant of the world's stage.

 
At 2 February 2015 at 21:31 , Anonymous Nelson said...

I cannot disagree with what you say, Natalie; but part of my motive was to express nostalgia for a sense of "noblesse oblige", and a golden age, whether mythical or not, when it was not automatically assumed that materialism rules, and that acquisitiveness and envy are vital to speed up the economy.

Generous souls, I grant, come at all levels. It's almost commonplace knowledge that in certain times and societies, including perhaps ours today, those who themselves are almost desperately poor can be the most sensitive to those who have even less, and ready to share. Philanthropy and public-spiritedness are not just found in the wealthy.

But when the question of fearless independence of mind arises, it just so happens that I recall that passage from Nevil Shute; especially as it seems so dated. And though as you say acting selfishly and exploiting others occurs at every level, generosity and public-spiritedness should be nurtured by every means.

If I were to write the piece again, I might clarify that I am not so much lionizing those with private means for being able to choose the right and noble option, as grieving for those who cannot afford even the thought of jeopardizing their salary, position in society, etc. bonuses etc. and must cravenly conform to the mores of the day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home