Sunday 25 January 2015

On being an animal


What I really wanted to say in my last was: “I am an animal”. The intended piece got hijacked by its own introduction, if you can believe that. “I am an animal” sounds like an oxymoron, requires an explanation before you can make sense of it. “I am . . .” implies awareness. “Animal” implies lack of human awareness. But I don’t know of an event in evolution where animality can be supposed to have fallen away, letting us think of ourselves as disembodied minds, with all the other bits replaceable by prosthetics. Before Darwin, to call someone an animal would be to call them subhuman. Perhaps naïve creationists still think that way. Perhaps we all do, when we think in clichés. Most discussion of humanity, specialized or otherwise, takes it as given that humanity has transcended “the animals”. I can’t say that any more. I say “the other animals”. I owe them respect and even reverence, just as I do to the eight great-grandparents I never knew. And by extension, I owe as much respect to every distant cousin. I always think of a favourite example, the charmingly humble slug, so defenceless yet such a doughty survivor. How do I know that it doesn’t live “in Eternity’s sunrise”?

I first said “I am an animal” in a post of that name I wrote in 2006. This was before my discovery of two books which deepened my understanding of its significance. The first of these is Becoming Animal by David Abram, which claims that we’ve been “taking our primary truths from technologies that hold the living world at a distance.” He continues: “This book subverts that distance, drawing readers ever deeper into their animal senses in order to explore, from within, the elemental kinship between the body and the breathing Earth.*

Though I endorsed his words wholeheartedly, I found myself resistant to taking them as primary truth. To do so would be to hold my own recent experience of the world at a distance. So as I read his book, I found myself arguing with it, and sometimes indulging the fantasy that I could have written parts of it better. For I felt that there is no way to “draw readers ever deeper into their animal senses in order to explore from within . . .” In retrospect my resistance arose from rejecting the notion of a teacher, and specifically any sort of self-help book. Rejecting the teacher was the turning-point of my life. I followed a self-styled guru for more years than I care to admit. By the time I walked out, I’d spent half my life following his injunction to practise meditation by “turning the senses inwards” in a narrow prescribed way. Opening David Abram’s book at random, I find this quote from John Muir:

I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

That was the walk I should have taken, but it took a long expedition into alleged spirituality before I could see it. We are animals because we are bred from this earth. The process of evolution has ensured that our native habitat—“we” referring to all creatures, whether slugs, rats or ourselves—shaped the way our species has developed, or we could say designed, just as boats are designed to ply the rivers and oceans. We are in constant provisional symbiosis with what surrounds us. Symbiosis is a fancy term for co-synchronous adaptation, which is a fancy abstract way of saying that the bee and the flower have evolved at the same time for mutual co-operation. But it’s all provisional. In the vastness of time, space and interactions on the surface of Earth, we may find islands of tranquil stability but everything is prone to catastrophe. For all we know, the Big Bang was itself a catastrophe, which destroyed everything before it so that everything could start again. Nature is flawed, just as every attempt at theology is flawed. Even perfection, existing in our imagination, is flawed.

The detailed mechanics of evolution are poorly understood, by me at any rate, but more expert minds have traced the existence of Man back to the time when all creatures with backbones lived in the sea as fish. Three hundred million years ago, a certain type of fish was in danger of becoming extinct. I’ll let Loren Eiseley take up the story, from his book The Immense Journey:

It was a time of dizzying contrasts, a time of change. . . . The pond was doomed, the water was foul, and the oxygen almost gone, but the creature would not die. It could breathe air direct through a little accessory lung, and it could walk. In all that weird and lifeless landscape, it was the only thing that could. It walked rarely and under protest, but that was not surprising. The creature was a fish.

There have been many species in the lineage from fish to man. How does speciation (the formation of new species) arise? Though Darwin is most famous for writing The Origin of Species, he was never able to guess an adequate answer. Much research has since been undertaken in the laboratory with fruit flies, which can reach adult form in as little as seven days from conception. Then, as little as eight hours later, they’re ready for sex and the cycle repeats. Technicians don’t even have to wait patiently for random mutations to occur. They can induce them, using radiation, chemicals & other forms of interference. That’s how evolution is studied. The same experiments on humans (God forbid) would take millions of years. As I said in my last, evolution is not a suitable subject for teaching young people science. Let’s call it a creation myth and move on. But it’s a worthy topic to include when creation myths are discussed.

Another thing worthy of life-long study is how the human equivalent of a cub, puppy, chick, kitten, calf, kid, lamb, tadpole, foal, joey or cygnet can develop into a wise adult. In my experience, enlightenment cannot be taught. We each have to make our own path. Sometimes I think I wasted thirty years of my life going off in a direction unsuited to my own nature. It seemed like a catastrophe, but for all I know it was the shortest route from there to here. I have learned to heed hints and whisperings from within, instead of conforming to the crowd. It’s not an easy thing to do.

Having missed the swinging Sixties, I got tangled in the Age of Aquarius, ending up stranded in a hippy commune. Refusing to admit I’d lost my bearings, I hitched a ride on that guru-bandwagon, convincing myself that Destiny had planned it so. Indeed it was spiritual, in the sense that it scorned the material and physical, all the better to focus on the divine. My body, being that of an animal descended from animals, never gave up protesting. I got ill, it wasn’t hepatitis as I’d assumed, but one of those chronic conditions which medical science wanted to deny, finding no evidence of physical dysfunction or mental illness. I was like that fish which Eiseley describes: “the pond was doomed, the water was foul, and the oxygen almost gone, but the creature would not die.” It metamorphosed somehow into a new species. I too was in some sense reborn, out from spirituality and into what I knew not. My cure, occurring thirty years after the onset, was instantaneous. A healer asked me a question, told me to ask my body, via memory, for the answer. I felt a subtle shift inside. I was released, and knew it

The newborn chick of a greylag goose follows the first thing it sees, its species instinct gambling on the odds that this will be its mother. So it was with me. From the healing moment onwards, I took on the notion that symptoms are messengers; the mind can play cruel tricks on us; body-wisdom can be trusted. But the therapy which engineered my cure had its own mumbo-jumbo. After escaping the guru, I’ve been wary of mumbo-jumbo, try to keep it at bay. The world is so choked with it, people declutter themselves of one kind whilst filling the empty space with another, imagining themselves now free. Needless to say, I too am “people”. There is nothing in this universe unflawed, only our fine words, which cruelly deceive us. Reducing the clutter to its minimum, leaving my excess baggage at the airport terminal, I feel myself to be an animal. Perhaps I mean a hunter-gatherer, but it doesn’t matter. To step out the door, on a mundane errand or for aimless wayfaring, is often enough to connect. I touch the world, it touches me back. It’s enough. It’s everything.


After writing the above words, I thought, “OK, I could end here,” but then I suddenly remembered a loose end left hanging from the beginning of my second paragraph above. I mentioned “the discovery of two books” and went on to mention the first, Becoming Animal, by David Abram. The second is Theory of Religion, by Georges Bataille (translated from French in my edition). Chapter 1 is headed “Animality”. It immediately becomes clear that he talks about animals so as to distinguish their sense of self-versus-other, if any, from the human sense of self-versus-other. Then comes his oft-quoted sentence:

That one animal eats another scarcely alters a fundamental situation: every animal is in the world like water in water.

So he says that “animals” (he could never say “other animals”) don’t have a sense of self at all, even when eating one another or being eaten. And in his next section he says that it’s a poetic fallacy to imagine that animals are in any way like us, or we like them.

Nothing, as a matter of fact, is more closed to us than this animal life from which we are descended.

At least he acknowledges the basic theory of evolution. French intellectuals don’t get any weirder than Georges Bataille, I suspect, and his theory of religion doesn’t repay the enormous effort of trying to grasp what he’s saying, and why he thinks it’s worth saying. (Perhaps he didn’t: it was published posthumously ten years after his death.) But his famous saying: “every animal is in the world like water in water” illuminates my own sense of oneness with every animal. For when I am in this awareness, knowing my cousinhood to the slug, buoyed by mother earth, canopied by the sky, grateful for the air, I too am water in water. It’s a sense of ecstatic oneness. Within this awareness, I see it reflected in everything else. Intelligence wasn’t evolved in the human brain so much as enslaved and domesticated by the human tyrant from its wild and flourishing omnipresence. We have tamed the universal mind just as we tamed nature with fields of wheat and cattle. We human beings can only see how things truly are in moments when the separating sense of self, the “I”, dissolves.

The fall from Eden describes the birth of agriculture and the enslavement of our brains in the anxious clamour of separation. To become animal is to regain Eden. This is why I don’t have a use for the word “spirituality”.

-----------
* Becoming Animal, David Abram: previously mentioned in three posts—Falling into Place, Infinite are the Depths and Becoming Animal.

21 Comments:

At 25 January 2015 at 12:13 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

Based on what I've observed of my cats, they certainly seem to have a strong sense of self to me, one of them quite aggressively so. In fact, one of things I like about cats is how they each have their own unique foibles and habits and eccentricities.

Still, sometimes I try to imagine what it's like to be them, wordlessly processing incoming experience, not possessing the vocabulary to reflect on how I feel or to deliberate on my actions. Hard to fathom. Can't tell if it would bring peace or further frustration.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 14:23 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Precisely so. BMW 1: GB (weird French intellectual) Nil. (he would call your cat-relationship a Poetic Fallacy.)

"Not possessing the vocabulary to reflect on how I feel or to deliberate on my actions." Your actions & feelings or the cat's own? I assume the latter; and that you don't suppose that the cat has a theory of mind.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 14:50 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

Yes, the latter, as in, I'm guessing that's what it would be like to be a cat.

As far as a theory of mind, I'd have to guess no, at least not an articulated one (but then what cat has ever articulated a theory of anything?) There's ways that they test for this children. For example, they'll set up a dollhouse with two figures seperated by a wall. From the child's vantage point they can see both the figures, but if they can answer questions in such a way that demonstrates that they understand that the figures can't see each other, then this shows that they're developing a theory of mind. This usually tends to happen around four or five, I think. That would suggest that a certain intellectual sophistication is required. I'm not sure how someone would test for such a thing in cats or even dogs for that matter, but there may very well be a way.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 15:05 , Anonymous Nelson said...

You've reminded me of a Victorian book I partly read in my childhood: Stories of the Sagacity of Animals, available free in a sumptuous illustrated version here https://ia700408.us.archive.org/25/items/Kingston_Stories_of_Animal_Sagacity/Kingston_Stories_of_Animal_Sagacity_text.pdf

One could go through it and classify the level of intellectual sophistication required for each animal exploit, and write a learned paper on the theory of mind as illustrated (or not) in non-human creatures.

One would also need a theory about the level of veracity of the stories of sagacity.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 15:12 , Anonymous Tom said...

As a comment to your previous post, you wrote the following words:-

"Thanks, Tom. This conversation can continue, but it's pushing me towards a follow-up post, in which I may set out a position quite radically at odds with much of what you have expressed here and elsewhere; at least superficially. So indeed, doors are and will be left open, with all the space needed to persevere indefinitely."

I am at a loss to see where our positions are radically at odds. If I have said anything to create that impression, I must review those areas. I must agree with BMW that from our own dog Molly, now so sadly passed on, I learned so much including a sense of selfhood. Even had she never come into our lives, evidence is everywhere of that sense of self, if we are prepared to look and 'see', if we are prepared to acknowledge and suffer for what we have done to our co-animal species. In my experience it does not require that a person be a creationist - or at least a declared creationist - to reject the link between us and other animals.

This post has given tantalising snippets of your life that were, finally, to bring you to the point at which you now are. I would love to know more, much more. As you say, enlightenment is not taught. It comes unbidden, I believe, from experience.

Vincent, I am still having difficulty staring into a bright computer screen, with eyes which require radically different prescription specs for each eye. But I would like to continue, perhaps in short-ish bursts. I await your expected response.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 15:28 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Tom, I'm glad we are not significantly at odds. And now I feel a sense of déjà vu, or déjà discuté, when I point out the last sentence of my piece: ‘This is why I don’t have a use for the word “spirituality”’. We may have discussed the word before.

In your posts, you frequently use the term "psycho-spirituality". It seems the exact opposite of what I've been saying. I had to ditch mind, ditch spirituality, to get a taste of oneness.

I wonder if your computer is equipped for audio using software such as Skype, for then we could talk with less eyestrain & discomfort. Or indeed there is telephone. I'm on +44 1494 530209.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 15:31 , Anonymous Bryan White said...

Looking back at my first comment, I have a better grasp of how I confused you with the awkward way I worded that. I can say though, there HAVE been occassions where I've caught one of the cats staring at me and I've wondered what they make of our strange human cavorting with all our technological paraphernalia.

 
At 25 January 2015 at 16:29 , Anonymous Tom said...

Vincent, we don't do Skype, but my computer expert Lucy has said she will try to look into the matter. The difficulty with the telephone is that although I have good hearing aids, I still have difficulty hearing what's coming through. Lucy is probably the only person with whom I can communicate comfortably, by electronic means, but then she is my wife.

I'll be back.

 
At 26 January 2015 at 09:42 , Anonymous Tom said...

It is possible we have discussed the word "spirituality" before, but in case we haven't could I say that when I use that word I am referring to that which is of the greatest importance in one's life. Clearly, therefore, the word can have a variety of applications. In the earlier days of my writing, I was constantly coming up against the problem of semantics, so much so that in the end I felt that the problem of "words", and what they were deemed to mean by different people, was getting in the way of what I was trying to say. Another obvious such word was "God". Nowadays, I realise that people who are uncomfortable with that particular word just do not comment any more. You win some and lose some.

As far as the word psycho-spiritual is concerned, I believe that all animals have a psychological side to their beings. How developed that is, and in which animals the psychological aspects are most pronounced, is not something I can give answer. Most certainly it does not originate in the human animal. That whole realm of psychology includes, to my mind, everything to do with our personalities, egos, thoughts and emotions, and all the unconscious realm in which they are rooted. Yet there is another "higher", if I may so describe it, aspect to humankind, which is often called the "spiritual" side of humans, as is described by psychosynthetic psychologists. Not only does this aspect of mankind seem to be exclusive to him - other animals seem to be driven by "higher" leanings - but it also does not exclude Mind.

For me therefore, there is no requirement to exclude the one in order to become aware of the other; you mention mind and One-ness (a concept I am not totally without doubts and misgivings, I have to say) in this context. I can see, however, that such a requirement might be needed, but then as individuals we each may need to follow a different path to understanding. Those differences can be a source of benefit to all of us, rather than a source of exclusivity, as we see all to often in the world.

I am finding that your post is unearthing a range of interesting ideas which we will never be able to research completely. And there is no reason why we should necessarily find all the answers in our lifetimes. In any case, I doubt that there will ever come a time when we all can agree on a set of spoken/written symbols/words with meanings with which we all agree.

 
At 26 January 2015 at 09:49 , Anonymous Tom said...

In the second paragraph of my previous comment I said, "Not only does this aspect of mankind seem to be exclusive to him......" That was a typo. I meant to say, (omitting the possibility of double negatives) "This aspect of mankind is not exclusive to him - other animals...." etc.

 
At 26 January 2015 at 10:26 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Tom I'm very relieved at your latest comments; no it is stronger than that, I rejoice. I noticed the absence of a "not" in your second paragraph, and meant to point it out, hoping you did mean that the spiritual is not exclusive to mankind.

And thank you for clarifying "spiritual" so definitively. My wariness against the word is a quirk based on personal history, which also revolts strongly against the notion of human superiority in these matters.

I'm glad you pointed out your difficulties with Oneness, too. I've been using the word oblivious to its many connotations (one versus many, ha-ha!); such as its being a synonym for monism, which I don't find a helpful philosophical view at all, being all for multiplicity and an enemy of all kinds of reductionism. The feeling of oneness is a different matter. If I am one with you, it means I don't feel a separation from you. On the contrary I feel an intimate connection. And it's a question of mood. One day I may go to the shopping mall and feel that it's an alien place, populated with alien creatures, and I will echo Bataille in saying that nothing is more closed to me than these people. In short, Another day I may feel oneness with everyone and everything; and then it's a synonym for love, in one of its meanings (caritas, charity, agape).

I'm glad you were able to unearth from the post a range of interesting ideas. I'll confess that they astonished me as I was writing them down, & made me ask where they came from. One could trace them from books or other researches; but properly speaking, seminal ideas are not derivative in that way. They are reflected in other thinkers, but if they have enough resonance to excite us, they come from inside ourselves, I reckon: from our psycho-spiritual core.

Good, I'm using your term, I like it now. And I share your misgivings about One-ness. Such sharing induces a sense of oneness - erm, can I say that?

 
At 26 January 2015 at 10:56 , Anonymous Nelson said...

And another thing. You say, “There is no reason why we should necessarily find all the answers in our lifetimes.” Indeed. Darwin for example raised far more questions than he could answer, and only some progress has been made in answering them since then.

I’m outside the scientific community, of course, but I sense there a shying away from free-range speculation of the kind which was prevalent in the nineteenth and early 20th century. The concept of science being consciously and well-nigh exclusively “evidence-based” has spread from its recent origins in medical science to almost everything. Speculation has been confused with superstition, as in the denigration of Intelligent Design as creationism in disguise.

I’ve just been reading about the correspondence between Alfred Russell Wallace & Charles Darwin on that very topic, i.e. Wallace’s belief in some unkown spiritual element at work in the evolutionary elaboration of the brain. Darwin said, “I differ grievously from you and am very sorry for it.” Commenting on this, Loren Eiseley says “He did not, however, supply a valid answer to Wallace’s queries.”

I suspect that as scientists these days depend on their sources of funding, they take care to censor their speculations so as not to be labelled cranks and become outcasts. Wallace became interested in spiritualism. We may be sceptical of that, but it’s no reason to dismiss him totally. For all I know (which is next to nothing) some of his speculations may some day be vindicated.

 
At 26 January 2015 at 14:24 , Anonymous ellie Clayton said...

An irony of the way we are able to formulated ideas into words is the impossibility of making blanket statement which cover all possibilities. We cannot say we believe in tolerance without expressing intolerance toward those who are intolerant. We cannot advocate forgiveness without forgiving those who practice vengeance. We cannot speak of oneness without acknowledging multiplicity. Perhaps we are being forced into the position of acknowledging (with Blake) that in every pair of contraries, the alternative is a necessary component of completeness.

You can formulate any system you like, or adhere to anyone else's system which you choose to adopt. Nevertheless the entity you are trying to encompass will always elude you. We can be amused by the Old Testament tale that Moses was allowed to see the back side of God, but the truth in this image is that there is always more to be seen and understood no matter how acute our vision.

It takes a body/soul to experience reality as body/soul, matter/spirit, human/divine. Each species of animal evolved a different perception both of itself and of non-self. We (and all living things) experience as both the perceiver and the perceived. Even a plant knows when it is not receiving enough water (perceived), and executes strategies to protect itself (perciever).

I tend to think that spirit is eternal, and that body is temporary. But it can be argued that what we call body is material because it resides in time and space, and that in eternity we have a spiritual body which experiences the temporal as passing through stages of development.

 
At 27 January 2015 at 19:04 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

"I suspect that as scientists these days depend on their sources of funding, they take care to censor their speculations so as not to be labelled cranks and become outcasts. Wallace became interested in spiritualism. We may be sceptical of that, but it’s no reason to dismiss him totally. For all I know (which is next to nothing) some of his speculations may some day be vindicated."

I'm quoting you, Vincent because, to me, this is a key point to remember when discussing issues involving matter VS spirit, science VS all-the-rest, etc. The indistinct area known as 'faith' may well at some point in future...perhaps very far in the future...become as much a fact as evidence-based science is to us at the present time. I appreciate very much that you leave the door open because without open doors we are prisoners of our own minds.
I'm in agreement with you and Tom about the word 'spiritual'; it has become debased by its ubiquitous New-Agey connotations and hearing it often has the excrucating effect of chalk scraping a blackboard! But what to substitute for its necessary meaning? I'm not sure 'psycho-spiritual' works for me (sorry Tom!). I'm in tune with Ellie's: "It takes a body/soul to experience reality as body/soul, matter/spirit, human/divine." Maybe there is a word which could encompass all of that?

 
At 27 January 2015 at 19:05 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

I do know how to spell excruciating!

 
At 27 January 2015 at 20:28 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Ellie, these are important points when one is trying to write about abstractions, and read or listen to others. It is easy to make blanket statements and it can seem pedantic to qualify them with exceptions. Listening to others' views out in the world in general (not here!), I have to unravel their meaning. I used to know various people who used "we" implying the entire world, humanity in general, but what they said (often pessimistic or cynical) only made sense & was only worth saying, when they meant "I". And this is why I consciously use the pronoun "I" so much, not wishing to pontificate on behalf of others.

You raise many important points in your comment, for example on intolerance. Yes, I want to be tolerant of the intolerant, and forgiving of those who practise vengeance. If for no other reason, one expends less bad energy this way.

And we may all differ in "what we tend to think", or perhaps we don't really differ so much, only that our life-experience has inclined us to a certain view which serves us well & gets us through. Which I might write about in my next.

 
At 27 January 2015 at 20:34 , Anonymous Nelson said...

“The indistinct area known as ‘faith’ may well at some point in future...perhaps very far in the future...become as much a fact as evidence-based science is to us at the present time.”

Yes, Natalie, this is one of the things I plan to write about soon, not about the future, that would require a gift of prophecy which I don’t possess.

But it occurred to me today that faith is massively more important than science in people’s everyday lives, not in the sense of a particular organized religion, but something which I feel may be the life-blood or essence of what draws people to religion. (Traditionally it would be the one nearest to hand, the only one available in that part of the world, until non-conformism took hold and there was so much agitation about freedom of worship that America became populated by Europeans, instead of being left to the original natives, who of course were no better and no worse than the immigrants.)

I scribbled in my notebook today that the one notion that helps people get through life, especially the downtrodden, ill-educated and victims of divers vicissitudes, is the thought that “it is all meant to be”. If there is some kind of order, purpose and humane governance of the whole caboodle, then we don’t need to kill ourselves or our oppressors; but we can go along in harmony with whatever is meant to be, and help that purpose.

The moment you declare that “God is dead”, having killed him by your atheism, you find yourself left with a mess, and it all gets absurd, because you end up with the hubristic sense that human beings are the greatest, especially those who design alternatives to the religion they’ve tried to deride into non-existence. But though you may have had to sweep away some out-of-date superstitions, and feel utterly justified in doing so, you’ve done something unforgivable at the same time. You’ve tried to sever other people’s connection with that instinct towards the Divine (whatever it is: definitions don’t matter, every definition is wrong, we don’t really know anything); and then everything you do, all your creative efforts are arid.

Whereas in actual fact we have every reason for humility, and as long as we cherish this humble attribute, we have a chance of salvation, if I may borrow that term from a different context.

(apologies for the earlier version of these comments being appended using the alias of my great-aunt, whose Great War Scrapbook deserves exposure to the world at large, as an authentic voice from 100 years ago, and a corrective to all the dramatizations and reconstructions crowding our airwaves & screens)

 
At 31 January 2015 at 03:16 , Anonymous Arash Farzaneh said...

That's quite an impressive and insightful piece! It somehow reminded me of the Herzog documentary "Grizzly Man." The German director tended to disagree with Timothy Treadwell's admittedly romanticized beliefs that the bears have "human sensibilities." In the end, the tragic irony is that Treadwell was killed and eaten by one of the bears he considered his "friends." Then again the one who attacked him had been in contact with and most likely mistreated by humans.

I feel that we more often than not underestimate the sensibilities and capacities in thoughts and feelings of animals in general. That being said I still consider humans the more developed (whatever that may mean), but unfortunately and again ironically, we tend to act more like brutes than the animals do.

Your post ends in rather mystical fashion and is less about animals than all surroundings, sentient or not. All things considered, especially regarding the state you are at now I would not say that you have lost any time in your quest. The false gurus are sometimes those that teach us the most, not in what they intend to make us see but rather in what they try to hide from us. So again, you would not be where you are if it had not been for those seeming detours earlier. Or put differently, the greatest regret would be not having regrets at all.

 
At 1 February 2015 at 12:50 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Thank you, Arash. I saw "Grizzly Man" a couple of weeks ago. I don't think we've discussed it. Did you mention it over at your place? K & I felt he got killed because unconsciously it was what he wanted. He knew the risks perfectly well and Herzog provides the evidential trail to assure us that he knew this particular bear was a dangerous maverick.

On your other points I do agree. Yes, the post ends in mystical fashion and I hope to devote some more words to some of the things only hinted at: to explore them in a fashion that might be within the scope of some future science. What I find is that when one pays brief visits to that zone where ego-consciousness does not rule, one can, if trained in the habit of open-mindedness, shed the anthropocentric viewpoint and see just in what area humans are more developed than other animals.

On this basis I would say that it isn't ironical at all that we tend to act more like brutes than the animals. Our capacity to think beyond the present moment, and to imagine that which is not, has its glaring weaknesses as well as its strengths.

The influence of religions is unfortunately to blame us and make us feel guilty for all our violence and perversions. If guilt is the best corrective, fine, I cannot argue with that. But more dispassionately, I feel that better forms of understanding are available these days. Rather than label behaviour evil, as if there is some independent Satan fighting against the God who wants us to surrender to him, or a humanist utopia wherein virtue can be inculcated by rational means, humanity can protect itself against the design flaws (which exist in all nature, as I've argued) by practical means: police, armed forces, helping children connect with their pre-existent sense of right and wrong, where present (for again, there are flaws in some of us which cannot be patched).

Yes, and though I have spoken against guilt when it is laid on us from outside as a clumsy instrument, the regret which arises spontaneously within us as a discomfort, sometimes extreme, seems to be part of our armoury of instinct. It is useful when it leads us to change our ideas and our ways.

 
At 4 February 2015 at 13:18 , Anonymous Thom Romer said...

Being an animal and breathing the earth indeed. Etymology is interesting on this point as human from the latin humanitas shares a root with humus, the earth. We are indeed creatures of the earth and as Shakespeare pointed out "the stuff made of stars". Star is in all living things and even a lit city at night looks like a constellation of itself.

 
At 4 February 2015 at 21:05 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Interesting bit of etymology, Bubo. I checked it with the Oxford English Dictionary (accessible free if you have public library membership). It reckons that it comes from the Latin "homo" ("man as opposed to animals or God) in its root form homin-, as for example the expression ad hominem used when attacking the person in order to credit an argument or proposition.

But in the broad sense I must agree with the sense of what you say, that we come from the substance of our planet Earth which comes from our star the Sun? I'm sure you know more about this than I.

I looked online for the Shakespeare quote, but only Carl Sagan came up.

But just as there is poetic licence there is quotatious licence, and spelling licence too for that matter. Who cares when the heart is in the right place?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home