Wednesday 13 January 2016

Cuttings


See footnote (1)
My last two posts, along with their comments, threw out several shoots worth developing further. So I’ve taken cuttings, as gardeners do. Given time and care, they take root and expand. Here’s one:
When we reach the end there is nothing left to do but give and receive. (2)
I think the best way to give is to share what has been given to us. This may sound obvious. Yet someone might say, “I didn’t receive anything. I made something out of nothing, by my own effort and sacrifice. And so I got money as my just reward, and I choose to give some of it, to what I think is a deserving cause. And so I shall leave this world a better place.” I didn’t mean to talk about giving and receiving in terms of money. Indeed I was about to say “money has never interested me” but then I remembered a period in my life when I realized I could earn a lot, and started to worship it like a miser, sacrificing home life to travel long distances each day, or else come home at weekends only. It was bad for the health, I hardly saw my children, and there was little joy in it. “So why?” I don’t think it’s useful to seek for reasons. Better to ask myself whether I could behave like that now. No, I could not. And now a reason comes to me immediately, without rationalization or excuses. I’m no longer driven by impoverishment of spirit. The parched desert of soul in which I dwelt then has been watered with blessings. And here I shall use poetic language from the Bible, despite never having been a Christian, because I don’t know another way to describe such inward states. “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Somehow one leads to the other: don’t know why. (Dark Night of the Soul? (3)) The word translated as “blessed” was the Greek makarioi which “expresses a permanent state of felicity, rather than the passive reception of a blessing bestowed by another” (4).

So I find nothing to regret. The destination validates the journey, however long and painful. I arrive at blessings which take the form of a feeling within, which is then magically mirrored in the world around you, so that you feel completely at home. The fear of death has evaporated. You are filled with a gratitude that impels you to give back.

Sri Ramana Maharshi
In that cutting I started with “When we reach the end”, referring in the original context to some old men I met who had retired to the fringes, leaving the main action to younger ones. Yet the blessings can come at any age. Take Ramana Maharshi. He was a normal child in India till an experience aged 16 in which he was suddenly overwhelmed by the fear of death. It made him wonder “What am I? What is this ‘I’?” And then he understood, and it stayed with him ever after. (5)

On this same topic, “when we reach the end”, I like this:
This is a test to see if your mission in this life is complete, if you are alive, it isn’t. (6)
- - - - - - - - -
Here’s another cutting from recent posts:
I once visited an exhibit of Egyptian art which included a piece called ‘Portal Between Two Worlds.’ It wasn’t the work of art that impressed me but the concept that passage between an inner world and an outer world is accessed through a portal. Sitting here trying to respond to Vincent’s post I intuit that it is mankind who is the ‘Portal Between Two Worlds’. Passing through the portal we participate in the individual or the universal. The particular world is ever with us but the infinite world is always available. (7)
I liked this comment for the way it instantly made me want to argue with it, and aver that there is only one world. On reflection, I agree that man is the uniquely the portal between two apparent worlds. What is the function of a portal? In the first place to divide one place from another. A door is made for closing; but it can be opened too. Separation first, then reconnection. In the entire universe there is but one world, except in man’s mind, where there is a portal, not known to all, and stiff to open at first. The other creatures have no ego to separate them from their surroundings. Evolution gave them an adequate set of instincts for survival, without need of our complex I-consciousness which is able to think that which is not, and gain a monstrous power by artificially untangling the whole into distinct compartments. Thus “every [other] animal is like water in water” (8). Since they don’t have the consciousness to be individual, they “participate in the . . . universal”. For all I know, “the infinite world is always available”—to them. Whereas we have to make a pilgrimage, a lifelong spiritual quest.
- - - - - - - - -
And another cutting:
I recall that on two or three occasions in the past I, not particularly willingly, mapped out the route my life has taken. Much of what it revealed I already knew up to a point, but what also surfaced was trauma, psychological denial, and a great deal of pain as well as unexpected pleasure. Even my unwillingness to take that journey told me something.

I agree that probability plays a large part in the process of living, but not in the apparently random manner it seems so often to display. For every action there is a consequence, relatively predictable or otherwise. As you say, correctly I think, one cannot know all the answers, but then that is not a requirement for a life well-lived.
(9)

The house on the Canadian Estate, near Nottingham,
where I lived from 1967-1971,
as photographed by Google in 2008
This comment prompted me to ponder the pains, denials and unexpected pleasures of my life between 1967 and 1972, and what drove me to do what I did. On the surface, we were a happy little family, with a nice house in a pleasant village, a fine place for our little children to grow up in, ten minutes drive from my job with its prospects for a long-term career in local government. So why did we let it go irrevocably, go to live in a country commune whose hedonistic lifestyle so disgusted me in the end that we let that go too, gave away our remaining possessions (furniture and books from the house) and drove off in a small van to destination unknown after joining a crazy enthusiastic guru cult? Was it for the fun, a belated discovery of the swinging Sixties? Did it make sense to swap mere restlessness and boredom for what turned out to be prolonged misery?

“For every action there is a consequence, relatively predictable or otherwise.” Yes maybe, but it doesn’t seem like that to me. Probability? Randomness? Yes, these things can be observed in the laboratory, isolated from this outside world where everything is mixed together in a tangle.
When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe. (10)
So what does make us humans tick? Perhaps it is wrong to generalize: there’s a broad spectrum of types, each one of us is unique, “there’s nowt so queer as folk” (11). Some people are sure they run on rational self-interest, and perhaps they are right. But I’m not one, as my life-story lays bare.

As far as I can see, my own life is directed by the interplay of two forces. a) An inner necessity impels me forward, along a consistent trajectory, whether I understand it or not. Once it was more or less blind, but gradually my eyes open to become conscious of a pattern. b) The world is what happens beyond my control. We might call it contingent reality. Nobody can plan or predict what happens. Billions of “inner necessities” clash or harmonize every second. Their outcomes spill on to my path. The dance is constantly dynamic.

I strongly recommend studying one’s own life, keeping one’s distance from all preconceptions and hand-me-down ideas. Then we can make close observations of phenomena, without jumping to instant conclusions. Then we can speculate freely on the meaning of any patterns we perceive. Ultimately, our observations will be absorbed into science, and perhaps contribute to a theory of everything.

I’ve copied below the blurb of a book long in my possession. (12) It’s remarkable for observations on the course of many lives, and its speculations as to their meaning. I’m dubious as to its conclusions, but that doesn’t detract from its interest:
Have you ever wondered why it is that one person can grow up with every conceivable advantage, and yet seem incapable of mastering even the simplest things in life?

Have you ever known someone who, despite being highly intelligent, keeps on repeating the same mistakes again and again?

It is only when we begin to view the human experience as the evolutionary process of a soul that we can begin to understand all these strange forces at work in our lives.

We see ourselves as human beings searching for a spiritual awakening when, in fact, we are spiritual beings trying to cope with a human awakening.

But what causes us to seek these experiences in the first place?

What is it, precisely, that sets certain life patterns into motion?

Why do these patterns emerge in our own behaviors repeatedly?

. . .
-------------
(1) Drawing at top: From 1992-4 I worked for Eurotunnel and spent much time away from home. The illustration shows an engineer in the service tunnel, part of a series of drawings commissioned for a brochure I designed in French and English for distribution to staff as part of our Total Quality campaign in the period before the official opening.
(2) Last sentence of “Chance Encounters”, posted 25th December 2015
(3) Dark Night of the Soul, a poem by St John of the Cross. It has become an accepted term in the Catholic tradition meaning “spiritual dryness”, as Wikipedia says, adding:
The ‘dark night’ of Saint Paul of the Cross in the 18th century lasted 45 years, from which he ultimately recovered. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, according to letters released in 2007, ‘may be the most extensive such case on record’, lasting from 1948 almost up until her death in 1997, with only brief interludes of relief in between.
(4) Charles Ellicott, A New Testament Commentary for English Readers, 1878
(5) Gabriele Ebert, Ramana Maharshi: His Life, 2015, drawing on Narasimha Swami, Self-realization: Life & teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi, 1944
(6) Richard Bach, Illusions, 1977 (as a quote from the “Messiah's Handbook”)
(7) Comment by Ellie appended to “Many are the Ways”, posted 4th December 2015
(8) Georges Bataille, Theory of Religion, 1973 (posthumous), tr. 1989
(9) Comment by Tom appended to “Chance Encounters” posted 25th December 2015
(10) John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierra, 1911, Chapter 6
(11) English proverb, in Yorkshire dialect
(12) Steve Rother, Spiritual Psychology: The Twelve Primary Life Lessons, 2004

5 Comments:

At 15 January 2016 at 12:33 , Anonymous ellie Clayton said...

I hope that you are writing even when you are not publishing to A Wayfarer's Notes. I would like to hear more about 'inner necessity' and 'contingent reality.'

Your posts are gifts to me which I unpackage carefully and ponder as way opens.

 
At 15 January 2016 at 20:48 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Thank you Ellie. Your comments are like that for me, too.

I do write daily, that is to say I try to—draft efforts, jotting ideas, rejecting them, starting again. But mostly waiting, uncertainly.

I think I shall have more to say about inner necessity and contingent reality, but it will need prefacing first, or perhaps the word is ‘priming’, as in preparing a canvas with a coat of gesso. If it were simply plucked from the blue, I don’t think it would be too convincing. Have made a start on the next post. Your comment may help it along.

 
At 16 January 2016 at 15:56 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

I like your 'cuttings' metaphor, very apt to the way that bits snipped here and there from our past can, if examined and nurtured with a fresh viewpoint, grow new and interesting shoots. I feel that the past (each individual's past) is compost, to be planted and gardened, not necessarily knowing what will flourish and what will simply and usefully rot.

"...I strongly recommend studying one’s own life, keeping one’s distance from all preconceptions and hand-me-down ideas."

Yes indeed. The diaries I kept throughout most of my life, starting aged about 9, served that purpose. They're not diaries in the literal sense of daily records of events but rather inner journals, thoughts, emotions and self-examinations sometimes, not always, related to what was going on in my external life at the time. Certainly I can see patterns, I even started turning them into a visual/verbal experiment a few years ago.

As I've already mentioned, I still think that the experiences you had, briefly described above (moving from comfortable conventional life to hedonistic commune then to guru cult, then out) would make a fascinating book.

 
At 16 January 2016 at 20:45 , Anonymous Nelson said...

Thanks for these thoughts, Natalie. From what I’ve seen already, you could put together a fascinating book about your life, copiously illustrated by the author. Would it be fun to write? Would it be a worthwhile way to spend one’s precious time?

In my case, a double No. I’m happy to provide my children with an oral account of anything they want to know about their early years, to match with their own memories, which are like pieces of a jigsaw lacking the context of a bigger picture.

But I’ve no motivation to write such a book, only to act as the spirit moves, which of course is the beauty of this blog format. It gives complete freedom and a quasi-infinte space to explore one’s topics, graciously accompanied by a few intelligent readers who make their own contribution.

I did though have a go at scoping such an exercise. It made me realize how much circumstantial detail would have to be painted in as background, to make sense of that progression (or descent) from bourgeois respectability to somewhere far beyond—and then the return, all the way back. That would be a volume like War and Peace—I couldn’t work on such a scale.

 
At 16 January 2016 at 23:54 , Anonymous Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

"...you could put together a fascinating book about your life, copiously illustrated by the author. Would it be fun to write? Would it be a worthwhile way to spend one’s precious time?"

Vincent, I started doing that with my online autobio, as you know, and I still intend to finish it (as far as it's possible to finish). It is fun while I'm doing it but there are so many other things I want to do and need to do, it's hard to assign priorities. You're right, there has to be motivation. But it's true that having a blog or website provides a useful and easy-going platform for whatever one wants to put out there and it doesn't have to be a duty or some grand plan.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home