Thursday 9 October 2008

Bus ride


Bus ride
Thanks to Gio JL on flickr
It is wonderful to be able to rejoice with the fortunate: to see someone beautiful and young who is making the most of what he or she has, in a simple way. When I was at university, I was preoccupied with my own loneliness and wasted my time. If only I could have appreciated what was around me: brilliant, dynamic, interesting or beautiful young people. Only 2% of the population made it to university. But anyhow, here I am and it’s raining and I need to get out of the house for being indoors is stagnation and outdoors is ecstasy and I’ve thought about this indoor-phobia in the context of death: I wouldn’t just want to spend my last hours in a hospital; even the walls at home would be a kind of coffin. Put my ragged remnants in a wheelchair and push me down a hill or over a cliff and I’ll shout “Wheee!” for I can go in style; or leave me under a tree with nothing to eat or drink and let my flesh and bones return their elements to the landscape. Or park me on a lonely beach, so that I’ll die hearing the plaintive sound of the waves.

So anyhow, my house is nice but it feels like a tomb sometimes when I’m seeking inspiration. “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking,” says Nietzsche, quoted by Beth. Yes, but I’ve walked too often lately in the rain near my house, and the sense of wonderment has dampened. So I got on a bus, and that’s why I’m here scribbling in a black book just as in the old days, when commuting to London on the Tube. On the back seats behind me, young Africans are chattering and it’s like birdsong because I don’t understand their language. The drone of the diesel, the rhythm of starting and stopping – these remind me of every bus I rode in childhood. For some unknown reason I suddenly remember a magazine’s readership questionnaire I completed. It was some time in my forties: looking back it feels like an ungainly time, earning more than enjoying, yearning more than knowing what I was missing. At the end of a long list of technical questions it asked “With whom would you most like to be shipwrecked on a desert island?” The magazine had started life around ’84 as a single typed sheet called The Freelance Informer. It was a list of contract opportunities in my industry and got bigger till it was taken over by a big company, but still cherished its quirkiness, hence the question thrown in at the end. My first thought was Helena Bonham-Carter as my desert island companion, on the strength of her appearances in “A Room with a View” and a TV melodrama:

A HAZARD OF HEARTS is the tale of innocent-yet-headstrong Serena Staverley (Helena Bonham-Carter), whose hand in marriage is gambled away by her father in lieu of a debt to disgusting lecher Lord Wrotham (Edward Fox).

Naturally I would not play the part of Lord Wrotham on that island. I would be a nice boy. Immediately after writing her name in the questionnaire, I obliterated it in black ink: this actress surely belonged to another and was no virgin. And once transported to the desert island, she might not be young still. (My own state at that time of belonging-to-another was casually ignored.) I wrote down Hildegard von Bingen instead. As abbess of a convent she might indeed be a virgin, and I imagined her like many a wise nun being impervious to the depredations of age, which is just as well as she would be almost 900 years old at our first meeting. She was “a German abbess, artist, author, counselor, linguist, naturalist, scientist, philosopher, physician, herbalist, poet, activist, visionary, and composer”. I could not imagine better company. I was in love with her image of being a “Feather On The Breath Of God”, which was selected as the title of one album made of her words and music. I wanted that relationship with God too, and to be reminded through the day of breath-meditation. Accordingly, I adopted FOTBOG as my computer password at work. I had to give the password to a colleague once. It was embarrassing.

I suppose I’ve never been one to plough life’s well-worn furrows, as far back as I can remember. I was always fancy-free: free in fancy, not in fact. And now amongst the birdsong of the African girls in the back of the bus, I hear one English phrase leap out: “a nice boy”. It catches me unawares, for within the well-worn and furrowed features of my exterior, I feel myself to be---invisibly---a nice boy. My deepest yearnings have not changed, except for their direction. Long ago, what I sought for was buried, waiting to be mined from the ore of the future. Now I have it and know it but still pan for gold in the rich silt of the past, guided by some scent, sight or sound of the present moment. “Be here now!” shout those who think well-worn thoughts.

The bus windows are steamed up on the in-side and tearful with rain on the out. Looking obliquely to the front, I see nothing. I’m not sure when to ring the bell to get off. Like a shy child, I don’t want to ask anyone, preferring to hope someone else will ring at the appropriate time.

To be here now: so what is “here”? What is “now”? There’s this banal moment on the bus, but my true dwelling is in a timeless zone. I look through steamed-up windows for glimpses of eternity.

15 Comments:

At 29 March 2008 at 19:42 , Anonymous iamnasra said...

I have visited all three blogs of your and enjoyed being here ..I was cought by what you wrote on Haiku...

Thanks

Nasra

 
At 29 March 2008 at 20:47 , Anonymous ghetufool said...

brilliant! brilliant!

i think it's the best you have come up with in a long time. may be this one is the best you written so far. i was never so spellbound by the magic of your words like today.

but i guess, you are already sure about the quality. for i can see it as an inspired divine spell.

kudos vincent! you finally managed to beat yves.

 
At 29 March 2008 at 20:53 , Anonymous Charles Bergeman said...

I have recognized two very different personalities in myself.

One, the lonely listener. The wallflower, the guy who hangs out in the kitchen at parties.

The other, the outgoing adventurer. The entertainer, the life of the party.

These 2 personalities never show up at the same place at the same time.

The latter makes appearances on those rare occasions when I am happy, comfortable in my surroundings and inspired.

My moods are influenced by many things. I find solace in both the reflective, as well as the extroverted forms of behavior.

I spent the 1st 12 years of my time living in San Francisco relying exclusively on public transportation. During that time I experienced many days as the passive observer, much like your recent bus ride.

I also remember many conversations with people I encountered on buses, in cabs and on trains.

I don't ride public transportation so much anymore. Living in the suburbs, my encounters with strangers are now limited to grocery stores, shopping plazas, farmers markets and an occasional hiker on a trail.

I do frequently return to the city as I am drawn to the types of experiences I had in my early days there. A night out last Friday with some friends who were visiting reminded me of the joys of the playful interactions with people who are just having fun.

The extrovert appeared that night and I felt the joyful freedom of my spirit that had been missing for a while. Hidden in my subconscious, waiting for the right moment to reveal itself in the company of friends.

 
At 29 March 2008 at 20:57 , Anonymous Charles Bergeman said...

Oh, I almost forgot.

Here is a link just for you Vincent.

A fellow Pedant, who has collected photos of grammatical sins.

 
At 29 March 2008 at 21:41 , Anonymous Hayden said...

It seems to me that the hardest brilliance to capture is that of the current moment. Mining the past, plumbing the depths of the future - each has it's place.

For me, the best is the recognition that what I have right now, in my hand, is good indeed. Its why, amidst all of my planning to move, I garden. In a garden I am enjoying the moment as it unfolds.

I agree with you completely about the outdoors - when I am inside too much my spirit grows stale and stuffy... dying in the still cloister of a hospital would be dreadful. Just leave me out under a tree, or, like you - at the ocean where I can hear the waves!

 
At 30 March 2008 at 10:38 , Anonymous Lady in red said...

it is many years since I was on a bus, maybe I should do this I do enjoy the time to observe those around me as wll as the changing landscape as we move along.

your description reminds me of the way I ahve begun to look at my surroundings as illustrated in my post about my journey to work one February morning. (colours)

 
At 30 March 2008 at 11:52 , Anonymous BBC said...

Put my ragged remnants in a wheelchair and push me down a hill or over a cliff and I’ll shout “Wheee!” for I can go in style; or leave me under a tree with nothing to eat or drink and let my flesh and bones return their elements to the landscape.

They can toss me on a fire on the beach at low tide and party and do happy naked pagan dancing around me.

Or wandering off to die in the park and returning to the earth would be just fine with me also.

Nothing in nature is wasted.

 
At 30 March 2008 at 11:55 , Anonymous BBC said...

Charles.... You have at least four personalities in you, everyone does.

Child, parent, teacher, adult.

Oh, and spirit, but they teach you a lot of stupid things about that on this planet.

 
At 31 March 2008 at 14:33 , Anonymous Tim said...

Vincent, I read a book one time by Dan Millman, called "Way of the Peaceful Warrior." One of the most interesting concepts in that book was about "being here now." It was a fanciful, little story, but jam-packed with wisdom... and not just blatantly; there was quite a bit of subtle wisdom one has to "pan" for.

In your closing statement pondering what is "here now," I can't help but smile to myself as I envision you sitting there, scrawling in that little black book, only to realize that as you sat there pondering, you had missed your stop - you should have "been there then"! It's in these types of small moments of pseudo-crisis where we release our thought processes and simply exist and act.

Before I turned into my own version of a slug, I spent quite a few years training and competing in Judo. Perhaps the best memories were competing in tournaments, where all of the preconceptions and planning flew away and left me to exist in the moment, relying on instinct. Oddly enough, I never left a tournament with less than third place.

Thanks for sharing!

 
At 31 March 2008 at 16:28 , Anonymous ourladybeth♥ said...

Brilliant Vincent! It really is.

You convicted me in the first paragraph: "When I was at university, I was preoccupied with my own loneliness and wasted my time. If only I could have appreciated what was around me: brilliant, dynamic, interesting or beautiful young people."

Yes, that was me as well.

 
At 31 March 2008 at 21:32 , Anonymous V said...

Now is an illusion. It is unthinkable. It is made up of the past, present and future.
The moment you start thinking of now, it is gone.
But now is eternity. Which I hardly need to tell is a heck of long, long time.
Whatever.
The word doesn't stand for the absolute. But what is absolute?
Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts,...
Thinking, thinking, thinking...

 
At 31 March 2008 at 21:41 , Anonymous V said...

Be practical. Keep practicing. Don't worry about the outcome.
Learn how to fall. How to stand up.

 
At 3 April 2008 at 06:10 , Anonymous Jim said...

Certainly, Vincent, this is a jewel beyond the usual gem. I agree with all the compliments here, even more I think. Sensitive and superbly written and composed. Great universal content.

Thanks for such great reads, you have surpassed yourself for sometime now, in my book.

 
At 3 April 2008 at 08:27 , Anonymous Vincent said...

Nasra, I am gradually discovering your poetry and other admirable writings. Oh there is more on haiku in my latest (Constant Spring).

Ghetufool, your praise is so welcome but unnerving too. But the competitive spirit in me is glad to have beaten that has-been Yves.

Charles, enjoyed what you wrote. Can relate to that too. As for the grammatical sins, I take it for granted that signs like those will often be spelt wrong. What's scary is the number of educated people including journalists and "writers" who can't place apostrophes etc. I feel they once knew and have now forgotten so they copy others who also have it wrong.

LadyInRed, thanks for pointing out that fascinating Colours piece, contrasting with the suspenseful Romeo saga!

Hayden and Billy: it's nice not to be alone in this peculiar notion of wanting to die under the open sky. & to Billy especially I will try not to challenge you about the guns thing any more. It's not you it's a huge cultural difference between current US & England which shows up in matters of religion and self-defence.

 
At 3 April 2008 at 08:36 , Anonymous Vincent said...

As for being "here now", Tim & Siegfried, I tend to pick fights with clichés as a puppy picks a fight with a slipper. Which I see you doing too, Siegfried. And you are right about eternity. We know nothing about it.

"here and now" is good enough to express that very complex thing that is meant. Or very simple thing, whatever. If I come across the "Way of the Peaceful Warrior", I will look at it. Ha, yes, one could be here now and miss one's bus stop; for there are a million things one could focus on.

but yes siegfried, I will keep practising.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home